ESH Management Activities
The Teijin Group positions Environment, Safety and disaster prevention, and Health (ESH) as a key issue relating to all business operations and is engaged in activities to reduce environmental impact affecting both the global environment and the local society, as well as to ensure the safety and health of residents and employees. We also quantitatively measure the investment and expenses relating to ESH, leading to efficient promotion and improvement of ESH activities.
Teijin Group ESH Basic Policies
- 1.We make safety our highest priority, following our philosophy of protecting human life.
- 2.ESH is the responsibility of every production line manager.
- 3.ESH efforts are integral to every stage of business activities.
The Teijin Group Global Environmental Activity Goals
Promotion of environmental preservation activities
- 1.Throughout our business operations, we will make efforts to reduce our environmental impact, including the reduction of CO2 emissions, conserve energy and resources, and make effective use of waste.
- 2.We will appropriately manage biological and chemical substances in compliance with the related laws and regulations to ensure that our use of these substances will not cause damage to the environment or to the safety and health of people.
- 3.We will provide as many people as possible with appropriate information and support so that our products will be transported, used, and disposed of in a safe and environmentally friendly manner.
Promotion of design for environment and environmental business
- 4.We will design products in an environmentally friendly manner in cooperation with our customers and suppliers, while promoting green purchasing and procurement as well as green transportation. In addition, we will conduct necessary assessment at the planning stage of business projects, thereby reducing potential risks to human health and the environment.
- 5.We will further develop technologies for environmental preservation and environmental improvement, including technologies that contribute to energy conservation and 3R activities (activities to promote the reduction, reuse, and recycling of materials) and will expand our environmental business taking advantage of our Group’s proprietary technologies and strong market presence.
Expansion of environmental communication and social contribution activities
- 6.We will clearly show our commitment to making contributions to society by such measures as setting and announcing environmental impact reduction targets and will engage in communication with a range of our stakeholders, including local communities in which we conduct business.
- 7.We will raise the awareness of all Group employees and provide them with education on environmental preservation as well as support them in conducting environmental preservation activities, such as energy conservation activities at their households and in their local communities.
(Established in December 1992; revised in July 2007)
Group ESH Management System
The Teijin Group established the Group ESH Subcommittee under the Group CSR Committee to practice integrated ESH (environment, safety, health) management. The Group ESH Subcommittee holds regular meetings twice a year to deliberate on policy, measures and activities regarding ESH management, which are then expanded within the group.
The ESH Committee members appointed for each business group (Unit) serve as Chairpersons of the ESH Committee and promote ESH management for each business.
In addition, the Chairperson of the ESH Committee of each business group and the Chief Social Responsibility Officer conduct ESH audits once a year respectively. In the ESH audits, the ESH management status, any accidents occurrence and the status of countermeasures thereof are checked, and then confirmation and guidance are provided in relation to future issues and actions required before the next audit.
A "Group ESH Educational Workshop" designed to enhance the level of ESH management is held once per annum. The workshop targets the ESH staff of business groups (Unit) and group companies as well as production line managers, group company presidents and factory managers.
In FY2019, a basic class in ESH education was held by e-learning, with the participation of 259 employees.
Through the ESH assessment system, Teijin reviews and verifies the related laws and regulations together with the ESH risk related to project implementation and day-to-day matters, and endeavors to implement appropriate measures in line with compliance and risk.
We conduct ESH Audits A and B in accordance with our ESH Audit Regulations, forming a double audit system. Audit A is conducted by the Chairperson of the ESH Committee for each business group (Unit) and Audit B is conducted by the Chief Social Responsibility Officer or a person nominated by the Chief Social Responsibility Officer.
As part of the audit process, each business group reports on ESH management status, any accidents, the status of countermeasures, and the status of ESH activities. This content is then audited, and confirmation and guidance is provided in relation to future issues and actions required before the next audit.
|Outline of the audits||Auditors||FY2019 audit results|
|ESH Audit A||ESH audits at production sites||Chairperson of Business Group (Unit) ESH Committee||23 bases
(15 within Japan, 8 overseas)
|ESH Audit B||Audits of the results of each business group and unit's ESH Audits||General Manager of the CSR and Compliance Department||11 business groups and units, 5 directly managed companies and 2 composites factories
(including document auditing for 6 business units/head office and 5 directly managed companies)
Training for internal auditors of ESH compliance
To enhance compliance with laws and regulations related to ESH, every year we hold a course to train group employees as internal auditors for ESH compliance. In FY2018, 32 employees were newly certified as 1st-grade auditors and 8 as 2nd-class auditors.
Group ESH results report
Every year, the Teijin Group holds the Group CSR Committee, where Group-wide EHS results and activities status are reported. In regards the results for FY2018, the Group CSR Committee was held in April 2019 at the Tokyo head office. Reports were made on the results of ESH across the whole business group, the status of ESH activities, as well as future issues and plans, and opinions were actively exchanged.
Responding to an ESH accident
In preparation for the occurrence of an ESH-related accident, the Teijin Group defines and enforces rules about swiftly reporting any incidents to the responsible persons within the Group.